Meet Our Team
The Vikram Hospitals plays a statewide services includes the Acquired
Dr.R.R.Kannan MS(Gen Surgery), Mch(Surgical gastroenterology)
Consultant Surgical Gastroenterologist and Laparoscopic Surgeon
DEPARTMENT OF SURGICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY:
The Department of Surgical Gastroenterology at Vikram Multispeciality Hospital is a specialized center dedicated to providing advanced surgical care for complex gastrointestinal conditions. Our highly skilled and experienced team of surgical gastroenterologists focuses on the diagnosis and surgical treatment of disorders affecting the digestive system. We specialize in a range of procedures, including gastrointestinal surgeries, hepatobiliary surgeries, and pancreatic surgeries. From minimally invasive laparoscopic procedures to complex open surgeries, our department is equipped with state-of-the-art technology to ensure precision and optimal patient outcomes. Conditions such as gastrointestinal cancers, inflammatory bowel diseases, and complex liver and pancreatic disorders are managed with a multidisciplinary approach, integrating surgery into comprehensive treatment plans. At Vikram Multispeciality Hospital, the Department of Surgical Gastroenterology is committed to delivering exceptional surgical care, promoting recovery, and improving the overall quality of life for our patients.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is surgical Gastroenterology?
Surgical Gastroenterology, also known as Gastrointestinal Surgery, is a specialized branch of surgery that focuses on diagnosing and treating disorders and diseases of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. It involves surgical interventions to address a wide range of conditions affecting the stomach, intestines, esophagus, liver, pancreas, and other digestive organs.
What does a gastrointestinal surgeon do?
A gastrointestinal surgeon, also known as a GI surgeon, is a medical professional who specializes in performing surgical procedures to treat conditions of the digestive system. Their role includes:
- Diagnosing GI disorders through various diagnostic techniques.
- Recommending surgical treatments when necessary.
- Performing surgeries such as removal of tumors, treating hernias, repairing digestive organ injuries, and addressing conditions like appendicitis or Crohn’s disease.
- Providing post-operative care and ensuring patients recover well.
What is the recovery time for Gastroenterology surgery?
The recovery time after Gastroenterology surgery varies depending on the type of surgery performed, the individual patient’s health, and the complexity of the procedure. In general, here’s a rough guideline:
- Minor procedures like appendectomy may have a shorter recovery time of a few weeks.
- Major surgeries such as gastric bypass or colectomy may require several weeks to a few months for a full recovery.
- Laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgeries often have shorter recovery periods compared to open surgeries.
Your surgeon will provide you with specific recovery instructions, including dietary restrictions, physical activity limitations, and follow-up appointments to monitor your progress.